Forum Jar

Forum Jar : Abaqus Forum : Continuum shells - Crushing simulation
See other topics in Abaqus Forum

Abaqus Forum

Important rules for using Abaqus Forum
• No offensive words are allowed in this forum.
• To prevent spams, you must not use the words "http" ".com" or "/"(slashes) in this forum.

Alert! Please do not buy anything or pay anyone on this forum. Scammers have been reported on our forum. Please also do not go to any links posted on here. We have been reported about links to websites that contain viruses. Thank you.

Topic: Continuum shells - Crushing simulation
Hi,

I am trying to create a crushing simulation of a composite tube using Abaqus 6.10-CAE.
I imported my geometry as a solid part and attributed to it a continuum shell composite section with multiple layers.
I used LAMINA elastic properties and Hashin 2D damage initiation and propagation criterion. I meshed the part and imposed elements deletion.
I also created a 3D discrete rigid plate to act as an impactor with an initial velocity (predefined field).

Two questions:

1 - Is it normal to see through the continuum shell elements in some directions?
When I use continuum solid elements (instead of continuum shell elements) I only see plain elements in all directions, i.e. I can't see through them... Is there any explanation?

2 - When I submit the simulation and the impactor starts to deform the tube, the simulation aborts and an error message appears:
"The elements contained in element set ErrElemExcessDistortion-Step1 have distorted excessively"
I don't understand why it happens because I attributed a damage initiation and propagation criterion to the material and also the element deletion.

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,

David Melo
Aerospace Engineering
IST - Lisbon, PORTUGAL

by David Melo Tue Nov 05 18:00:11 UTC 2013

by Mon Dec 04 20:50:14 UTC 2017

Post a new comment

Name (optional):

By posting a comment, you indicate that you have agreed to our terms of use.

Feel adventurous? Check out random forums on Forum Jar!
Related Forums
Commercial software Forum
Finite element analysis Forum
Dassault Systemes S.A. Forum
Open-source Forum
Python (programming language) Forum
Fox-toolkit Forum
GUI Forum
Automotive industry Forum
Aerospace Forum
Industrial product Forum
Multiphysics Forum
Piezoelectric Forum
Elastomer Forum
ABAQUS, Inc Forum

sponsored links: free polls | free chat rooms (weirdtown chat) | widgets for myspace | make chat room | free chat room list | review websites | snowboard or ski | chat vocab

terms of use | privacy policy
©2018 forumjar.com All rights reserved.